Expert Patient Programme
The Expert Patient Programme (EPP) is run over six weekly sessions with each session lasting two and a half hours. It is facilitated by trained tutors who are living with a long-term health condition.
Topics covered on the course include:
- Managing tiredness and pain
- Coping with feelings of depression
- Relaxation techniques and exercise
- Healthy eating
- Action planning and problem solving techniques
- Communication skills with healthcare professionals, friends, family and colleagues
By taking part in the course you will:
- Learn new skills to manage your health condition
- Develop confidence in the daily management of your specific condition(s)
- Meet others who have shared similar experiences
- Learn about developing more effective relationships with healthcare professionals
People who have taken part in an EPP course have reported that it has helped them to:
- Feel confident and more in control of their life
- Manage their condition and treatment together with healthcare professionals
- Be realistic about the impact of their condition on themselves and their family
- Use their skills and knowledge to improve their quality of life.
What People Have Said
“I have recently attended the Expert Patient Programme and it has been a thoroughly enjoyable and helpful course for me. I have been enabled to value myself more and to accept that my condition of osteoarthritis is a long term health condition and not to be belittled against other diseases”
“The EPP course has made me realise that I can have some say over my pain and not let it dictate my life”
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Janet Hickman at the Cambridge Cancer Help Centre or on 07866 331782. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.